Thursday, July 28, 2011

Des Moines County Fair Queen Competition

Tuesday was my first day off in the past 2 weeks. I had queen duties to do for 14 days straight, it went fast. The saying is true that time really fly’s by when you are having fun. I was able to catch up on a few things at home on Tuesday, I worked out and played basketball, wrote thank you's, cleaned my room and bathroom. I was a very busy girl all day. That night I was able to see my family as well which was great I haven't gotten to see them much as we have been on the road all summer. It was my Grandpa Hunter's 83rd birthday. Most of my mom’s side was able to come and help celebrate with us. We enjoyed a lot of homemade food, laughs, water volleyball, whirlpool making, and of course homemade ice cream! It was a great night of food, family and fun. It was really nice to relax and enjoy my family.
Yesterday my parents and I traveled over and down to Burlington for the Des Moines County Fair Queen Competition. Burlington is right off of highway 34. We left around 11 so we were able to have enough time to stop and see my Great Aunt and Uncle who live in Burlington. We do not see them often so while we were down in that territory we thought it would be great to stop in. They are both doing well and it was great catching up with them. After spending sometime at their place we met Jessie Hutchinson who is the Coordinator of the pageant for dinner. Jessie was the 2005 Iowa State Fair Queen and was able to be my chaperon for the last two days of the State Fair last year. To see Jessie meant a lot for me because I really got to know her when she chaperoned me and I truly look up to her as a role model. She is such a great beautiful lady. She puts on a very well organized queen pageant. She asked me to judge the stage portion of the competition that evening, which I was totally up for doing. The competition was held in the Southeastern Community College gymnasium which is right by the fairgrounds. There was a surprise visit from Gary McConnell the Vice President of the State Fair Board, I did not expect him to be there but it was great that he was able to make an appearance. We judged the girls on two different outfits, and two different speeches that evening. All of the girls' formal dresses were so pretty, it is great to see their personalities come out in their outfits. In the end you all know how it goes only one girl can be crowned the fair queen and this year’s Des Moines County Fair Queen was Katie Clover. She was very deserving and did a great job on her stage portion of the competition that I judged. I had a wonderful afternoon and evening as I got to see many people that I hold close to my heart. Thank you to Jessie for having me be a part of the competition!


God Bless,
2010 Iowa State Fair Queen
Lacy Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment