Thursday, August 4, 2011

Wayne County Fair and Lucas County Fair Queen Contest.

I have been absent from blogging as I went on vacation in the Lake of the Ozarks for 4 days. It was great to have some time to relax and enjoy with the family. Before the Ozarks I had 2 different appearances that I made and I have not yet blogged about them.
I was asked to go to the Wayne County Fair July 28th in the evening. My parents and I gratefully accepted as it is close to home and we love going to county fairs. :) I was also able to see my grandparents as they came to the fair that night since they only live about a half hour away from Wayne County. I was happy that they were able to experience a fair appearance with me. Wayne County Fair is held in Corydon, Corydon is just south of Chariton off of highway 2 and 14. Wayne County Fair will be a really memorable fair for me as we about got destroyed from a tornado. When we arrived it was decent weather but looked a little stormy, not even ten minutes after we had got there is started to pour down rain. Of course I didn't expect anything less I do live in Iowa and you can never predict the weather. The next thing I know we spot a rotating funnel cloud in the sky. Just my luck! Here we are standing in Morton buildings on the fairgrounds with the tornados sirens going off with nowhere to go. I thank God for Tia, one of the fair queen coordinator’s that she was standing next to me and had a house very close to the fairgrounds. So what do we do?  Take of sprinting in the middle of the pouring rain to get to her car and drive to her house. At the time I had no idea if this was the safest idea or if I should have stayed at the fairgrounds. We did make it to her house safely and went straight to the basement. This was pretty scary as no one expected for that storm to be that large and either did the weathermen on the news station because they had no idea what was going on in the little town of Corydon, Iowa. That was the comical part of the whole situation was that the weathermen had no clue of what was happening. We eventually made it back to the fairgrounds and enjoyed the rest of the evening. I spoke with the queen that I had judged earlier in the week, she was doing a fantastic job representing Wayne County. I was also able to see Suzie their fair queen; she was a very happy princess and enjoying every minute of it. We ate supper with my grandparents at the fair, was given a tour of the fairgrounds, introduced at the truck and tractor pulls and I got hypnotized. I have been hypnotized three times before this so I knew what I was getting myself into. :)  After the hypnotist show we said our good byes and headed for home.
The next day Friday the 29th of July I headed back down south to Chariton for the Lucas County Fair Queen and King Contest. I was asked to be there the whole day to enjoy the candidates and chat with them. We all ate lunch together and then it was time for the candidates to have their individual interviews. After individual interviews the group interview was next. I was asked to be in charge of questions for the group interview. This was great as I got to throw out questions that I thought were important in my age group in today’s society. Some of the questions caught the candidates off guard, but they eventually got the conversation rolling and had a great discussion on all of the topics. After they were done with the group discussion it was off to the fairgrounds for introductions and a fishbowl question. It was a great group of young ladies and gentlemen but only one could be picked like always. The young lady that was picked is a great girl who was involved in the fair and completely deserved Lucas County Fair Queen. She will represent Lucas County; the county should be proud as they have a great queen. The King that was chosen was also a great pick. He is very active in the fair and is also on the 4-H State Council. Both of them will have fun during their reign and do a great job. I want to thank Kim Edder and the rest of the queen coordinators for having me at the competition that day. It was great spending the day with young adults my age, as sometimes I have not been able to do that very often this summer.
The Iowa State Fair is less than a week away!!! I am ssoooooooooooooo EXCITED!!! I don't know if you can really tell but I can't wait, even though I don't want it to end but I know everything comes to an end sooner or later. I am looking forward to this next week of excitement in my life as it will be one to put in the memory books along with the rest of the year I have had as the 2010 Iowa State Fair Queen. Hope all is well with everyone :)


God Bless,
2010 Iowa State Fair Queen
Lacy Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment