Thursday, July 21, 2011

Busy Busy Busy...Appanoose, Marion, and Washington County Fair.

Oh how I have been busy. This week has just seemed to fly by, I cannot believe that it is Thursday already. This past Monday my parents and I went to Centerville for the Appanoose County Fair. I was asked to be a judge for the Bill Riley Talent Search that evening. We arrived a little earlier then I was supposed to, but we used our time wisely by going through the cattle and hog barns as well as eating at the 4-H food stand. The Appanoose County Fair Queen was crowned prior to the Bill Riley Talent Search Show. I spoke to the crowd and the girls about my experience as the Iowa State Fair Queen and a little bit about myself. The young lady who was crowned queen was a very involved gal and she will represent her county well at both the county and state level. This was the 2nd talent search I have judged this summer. Judging these shows are just as tough as judging a queen competition because each young adult or sprout is talented in their own way. The talented youth that come compete in these shows are unbelievable. I was honored to be asked to judge and be a part of the Appanoose County Fair Monday evening. I had a wonderful time!
Tuesday I was able to be in my hometown for the Marion County Fair. Yay! This day will always be one to remember for me. I was asked to hand out ribbons at the beef show. It was great to be able to watch the beef show that day as just a year ago I was in the ring with my steer showing. It was actually kind of weird watching and not participating. I was able to hand out the Grand Champion Market Steer trophy that after noon to a young man who was very deserving of it and had a great steer. This meant a lot since that trophy has been in my house the past two years and I know that Hagen and his family will be proud of that trophy just like my family and I were. Normally after the beef show when everyone is on the wash rack washing their steer or heifer a water fight starts, well this year since I wasn't on the wash rack I figured I would make myself useful by helping one of my friends with her steer but actually what I was doing was starting the water fight. Katherine Yoder and I got a great water fight started that ended up lasting 4 hours. It is always a tradition to have a water fight at county fair so I definitely kept the tradition going. We were actually having so much fun parents got involved. Those are the types of memories that I cherish from our county fair, those crazy water fights that involve 40 people that happen every year. If I get ahold of the picture of all of us that were a part of it I will make sure to upload on here. It was a great afternoon for a water fight as the heat index got as high as 131. Crazy! Tuesday evening we held a Bill Riley Talent Search at the fair. Bill Riley was able to be there to MC the talent search. We were grateful to have him there as he is a very busy man traveling the state of Iowa going to different talent searches leading up to the state fair. The talent search went very well as I was impressed with the talent that came from Marion county and surrounding counties. Everyone enjoyed a watching wonderful talent and even though it was scorching hot out the show went on. My day was complete as I had pork loin with our county fair group and enjoyed a few laughs. I loved spending the whole day at the fair, as I miss being an exhibitor.
Yesterday my parents and I road tripped to Bloomfield for the Davis County Fair and their queen competition. I was asked to be a judge for the competition. The judging started at 1 with individual interviews and then a group interview. There were 5 girls running for Davis County Fair Queen. All of them interviewed very well but you know how it goes there can only be one winner. I was able to see Gary McConnell which is a member of the State Fairboard, he is from Davis County. We were able to spend some time with him when we had a break between interviews and the audience portion of the competition. It was great to see him and his wife Linda they are both great people and I am glad that I have been able to be acquainted with them. Thanks for the hospitality! That evening the girls had to answer one question in front of the audience and share a children’s story they had made that was about an actual event that happened with them at the Davis County Fair. It was neat to see all the different stories that were put together for this part of the competition. Davis County has a great fair queen to represent them at the county level as well as the state level. She was a very sweet girl. I enjoyed myself the whole day judging, meeting the girls and other fair goers, and also seeing Gary and Linda, they both mean a lot to me. Thanks to all 3 county fairboards and queen coordinators for having me at their fair. Hope all is well with everyone!! The Iowa State Fair is in 21 days!!! :)


God Bless,
2010 Iowa State Fair Queen
Lacy Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment