Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Clarke County Fair and Pre Fair picnic in Warren County

This past Saturday my parents and I hopped in the car to make our way to the Clarke County Fair. This fair is held in Osceola. Osceola is right off of highway 34. I was excited to make this appearance as I got to see Randy and Judy Brown and Jerry Parkin. Randy Brown is the Iowa State Fairboard President, he is from Osceola. Jerry Parkin is a member of the State Fairboard and is the South Central district representative. Clarke County has an amazing fairground. They just built all new facilities in 2005 in a new area which is located west of Osceola. I was able to get a tour from Randy and Jerry of the fairgrounds and we were also introduced at the end of the hog show. I enjoyed eating dinner in their nice air conditioned building where all 4-H projects are put on display. Once we were done at the fair Randy and his wife Judy invited us over to their house for awhile before we all headed to Warren County. We spent the afternoon with Randy and Judy sharing stories, memories, and laughs. Thanks for the hospitality it was great spending time with both of you. Around 5 we headed to the Warren County Fairgrounds where their pre fair picnic is held. This is a night of food, entertainment, scholarships, and crowning the fair queen all leading up to the start of their fair. Randy and Judy were also there along with Jerry and his wife Randall. My brother and his fiancĂ© were able to be there along with my Grandma Helen and parents. There was a wonderfully decorated table that was reserved for us and special name tag thanks to Kaylee Miller. Shout out to her she is a great gal! I was asked to hand out the Barbra Dykstra Memorial Scholarship. It was an honor for me to be asked to award this scholarship because Barb Dysktra was my Aunt. She passed away a year and a half ago. I know Barb was watching over me smiling as I gave this scholarship out to a very deserving girl who also knew Barb very well. I wish that Barb was still here to be able to experience everything with our family and I could share all my great experiences I have had as being the 2010 Iowa State Fair Queen, but I then remember she is above watching it all happen. :) After scholarships were handed out we had some entertainment from four ladies who named themselves the Vintage Fair Queens. These ladies performed a dance, gave advice to all the fair queens’ candidates and promoted the new free stage Warren County had added to their fairgrounds this year. They were hilarious. Once the Vintage Fair Queens got off stage it was time to crown the 2011 Warren County Fair Queen. The young lady who was crowned will do a great job representing Warren County both at the County and State level. It was a very fun filled day and I was glad to be a part of both occurrences.

God Bless,
2010 Iowa State Fair Queen
Lacy Stevenson

No comments:

Post a Comment